FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Movies that feature or take place in Tokyo?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:43 am
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
As a fan of martial arts films, I did see "Into the Sun", I even have it on DVD after finding it on sale at Walmart in the US for about $2.00 bundled with a few other Seagal films. Yes, it is a bad movie, I'm surprised that Sony Pictures invested $30 million to make this dud, especially at a time when Seagal's star had already fallen and he was at the "straight-to-DVD" phase of his movie career. The movie only grossed $175,563 worldwide. Subsequent DVD sales probably added only a few thousand dollars to that.

A more recent dud that I saw was "Bullet Train" starring Brad Pitt, a mind-numbing and hard-to-follow story that was actually filmed at a studio in Hollywood on reconstructed train cars. It's kind of a Tarantino knock-off, so there's a lot of gratuitous violence. Surprisingly, the movie made a profit but was mostly panned by critics. I'd take a hard pass on it and recommend watching the 1975 action movie "The Bullet Train" starring Ken Takakura and Sonny Chiba instead. At least you'll get the chance to see what an early Shinkansen with a dining car looked like back in the day, and it's far more exciting.
Originally Posted by Pickles
I don't know what prompted me to see that this summer, maybe the concept of a shinkansen as a film set. It was spectacularly bad, not even funny bad. Mrs. Pickles refused to see it with me, calling it, pre-emptively, "dreck." She was correct.
On a recent AA flight, I started to watch the movie Bullet Train (i.e. it was free) and I think I made it till a little less than the first quarter of the movie. Then I switched to a live NFL game feed....

Steven Seagal lived in Osaka for 13 years between the age of 17 and 30 and studied aikido and tai chi. Steven Seagal was married to a Japanese woman and has two kids; Kentaro Seagal (actor in Los Angeles) and Ayako Fujitani (actress in Japan). Steven Seagal used to appear on Japanese TV programs often with his daughter Ayako Fujitani. Steven Segal spoke pretty decent Japanese, although once in a while his daughter had to step in as a translator.