FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Year's sale this year?
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:35 pm
taupo

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Speargrass Flat

On the home front here in Whistler we've been seeing the higher end continue to be extremely strong but a bit of softening in the lower end. There is a huge amount of leisure travel money still sloshing around North America especially in the baby boomer demographic and with the current world geopolitical situation it's money that is looking for a perceived "safe" destination. NZ is definitely on that shortlist as are adventure destinations here in BC. These guys are happy to pay full whack for tickets and accom which in turn makes any reward travel more challenging. The lower Y and package deal end of the market is more affected by the mortgage rate increase (from 2% to 6.5% in Canada last few months) and are cutting back a bit on leisure travel. Anecdotally as well am hearing Gen Z and millennials aren't traveling so much and staying closer to home than the 2010's - and we aren't seeing this demographic coming into Whistler as much for employment, with associated staffing challenges. I understand it's similar in Queenstown.

So I'd be surprised if AirNZ needs to drop pricing much for 2023 for PE and J. May see some ad hoc sales for Y to increase loading here and there in the shoulder seasons, but I wouldn't rely on it.
My sentiments exactly.
The effect of rapidly rising rates is only just beginning to take hold. The best or worst, depends on perspective, is yet to come.
The heavily in debited crowd will not be travelling. This is a significant portion of the overall economy and the Y travellers.

Those that are able to travel, want to be comfortable and not very price sensitive
To that point, I’m seeing many more families travelling in J, or parents J and kids PE.
I don’t like my kids as much so I tend to be J and they are Y and playing UG lottery.