FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long haul in-flight catering 2023 | First
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:35 am
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I got hold of the menus for my forthcoming flight from You First on 281 & 282.
Would it kill you to post the route too so people don't have to look it up?

Originally Posted by jjLDNY
You are right, it is typically chicken, beef and a fish so yes it is 'safe', though given you're talking specifically on meat are you suggesting you'd like to see lamb and pork appear more often (or something more exotic?!) Lamb does sometimes make an appearance, though I can't remember when I last saw pork? Whilst I'd love to see more variety and these 2 proteins appear more often I think if you were to run a survey chicken and beef would likely be the top 2 by quite a margin so I 'get it'. They are most definitely comfort foods, the chicken often comes as a curry, and the beef dish typically comes with the traditional 'trimmings' whereas the seafood item is sometimes a little more adventurous.

What should they do? I think they just have more variety, perhaps a rotating 5th main which is a little more exotic. This I think is an achievable middleground.
Yes to lamb and pork! Although I agree pork is relatively uncommon, but you can do a pork shank or tenderloin, or shoulder works well in a stew/curry. Duck should be there as well, confit, breast, etc. On Delta business class I recently did a special pre-order (e.g., not on the on-board menu) of "Duck Parmentier" which is basically a duck shepherd's pie and was quite yummy!.

And on the fish, would maybe be nice to see scallops or lobster.