FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overpackers Anonymous?
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:45 pm
IndyDavid

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Such an important question! The real key to super-light packing is ditching the notion of being fabulous all the time. Generally on vacation one is on one's own. No one you meet will ever see you again, and besides, what other people think about you is none of your business. Of course, it's different if you're working, or if you have to bring, for example, a tuxedo. Nevertheless, here's what I use as a rule of thumb, courtesy of my mom the master packer:
  • 1 set of underwear (socks, t-shirt, etc. ) for each day up to 10; after that, have some laundry done. Wear 1 set, pack 9.
  • 1 pair of pants for every 2-3 days, up to 4. Wear 1, pack 3.
  • 1 shirt per day, up to 6. Wear 1, pack 5.
  • This is the hard part: 1 pair of shoes. Total. That's it. Get something you can dress up or down. Wear them on the plane.
  • One sport coat or blazer, or the jacket to a suit whose pants were accounted for above. Wear it.
  • One piece of outerwear, if needed. Wear it.
Never bring anything you don't know exactly when you'll wear. And always wear the same thing on the plane on the way home that you wore on the way out. I easily do 7 nights with a small rollaboard or a soft-sided suitcase and my attaché case with my laptop in it.

My mother's rule is "If you can't wear it twice, don't bring it." I'm not quite that draconian, but I honestly do laugh right out loud at people checking a gargantuan suitcase for a long weekend.

David

Last edited by IndyDavid; Dec 13, 2004 at 2:55 pm