FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long haul in-flight catering 2023 | First
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:13 am
jjLDNY

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ttama
I'm not normally a First passenger but have been following this thread due to an upcoming F flight. So I'm not as sophisticated as many of you on this thread.

What strikes me is that the meat mains seem to be pretty much "chicken or beef" (other than at christmas time), and pretty plain food at that. And the meat starters tend to be beef too. Maybe I've missed something, but is there a lack of imagination here? Do they ever serve meat that isn't chicken or beef in First Class? I'm sure it's all very nice, but it seems like they're playing safe - or are they playing to an appreciative audience? Is it because first class passengers tend to travel a lot and are so sick of eating restaurant food that they're really happy with comfort food on a flight?

This is just a comment/question, not a criticism. As an extreme allergy sufferer I will need to order the meat-based dishes as they tend to have fewer fruit/vegetable ingredients so are therefore more likely to be safe for me. I can certainly safely eat the meat dishes on this menu, and being safe is my greatest concern. I'm just curious to understand why the food is so unadventurous.
You are right, it is typically chicken, beef and a fish so yes it is 'safe', though given you're talking specifically on meat are you suggesting you'd like to see lamb and pork appear more often (or something more exotic?!) Lamb does sometimes make an appearance, though I can't remember when I last saw pork? Whilst I'd love to see more variety and these 2 proteins appear more often I think if you were to run a survey chicken and beef would likely be the top 2 by quite a margin so I 'get it'. They are most definitely comfort foods, the chicken often comes as a curry, and the beef dish typically comes with the traditional 'trimmings' whereas the seafood item is sometimes a little more adventurous.

What should they do? I think they just have more variety, perhaps a rotating 5th main which is a little more exotic. This I think is an achievable middleground.

Oh, but most of all fix the light meal and the 'snacks'. The 'snacks' are criminal and inferior to what is available after a walk back into the club kitchen.