FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:09 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LosRodeos84
Please could anyone advise me if I should persue this claim for EC261 which has been rejected by BA

LGW-MLA BA2644 on 11th December was cancelled due to the snow on the runway, we sat on board for 3 hours for runway to be cleared but the flight was then cancelled even though the runway reopened.
This doesn't look a strong case for EC261 to me. The fact that LGW was working reasonably well isn't that persuasive, LGW is more resilient than LHR on the whole, and I'm not seeing a lot that BA could have done to get you on your way. The exception may be if you had asked or sought a rebooking to another airline (such as easyJet out of LGW) and it was refused. Ditto if another airline at LHR was running services to MLA with a lower level of disruption. Bad weather generally is accepted as a resason for denying EC261 compensation, and while you were unlucky to be hit twice, equally the problems went of for several days.