FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Replacing points booking with Chase free night
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:05 am
s0ssos

Originally Posted by Tennen
Agreed. "Different" is probably more accurate. It seems as though that reward availability and CC night availability are the same/similar in most (or many?) cases, but unfortunately, we can't rely on one for being a predictor of the other.

Anyway, back on topic, IMHO, I would only swap points for CC night (or vice versa) if there's availability for the one I want to swap to, I can book & confirm the new reservation before canceling the existing one, and I end up ahead (using an expiring cert, fewer points, etc.). I definitely wouldn't meddle with an existing reservation if the points cost has increased, as in italdesign 's case. Too much could go wrong with manual intervention.

Edited to add: I just realized that the thread is 3 years old... I can't believe I only figured out that the inventory was different this year...
And supposedly there is a trick for nicer rooms with the free night certificate, that exceed the point value of the cert or are not available with points. I haven't seen any examples but saw one blog posting about that.

Now, with new benefits of IHG One, lots of more interest in booking with points (eg before booking with cash could include breakfast, but with points excluded, so diminished some of the value of booking with points. Now with diamond status you get breakfast regardless, so ...)