FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Replacing points booking with Chase free night
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:03 pm
Tennen

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think one can say it is different inventory, but a "subset" I don't see being correct, as the poster after you showed.
Agreed. "Different" is probably more accurate. It seems as though that reward availability and CC night availability are the same/similar in most (or many?) cases, but unfortunately, we can't rely on one for being a predictor of the other.

Anyway, back on topic, IMHO, I would only swap points for CC night (or vice versa) if there's availability for the one I want to swap to, I can book & confirm the new reservation before canceling the existing one, and I end up ahead (using an expiring cert, fewer points, etc.). I definitely wouldn't meddle with an existing reservation if the points cost has increased, as in italdesign 's case. Too much could go wrong with manual intervention.

Edited to add: I just realized that the thread is 3 years old... I can't believe I only figured out that the inventory was different this year...