FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Centric Times Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:12 am
jbandy10

Originally Posted by BananaFusion
Had a 5 night points stay here for Christmas with family. Used a SUA to get upgraded to a King Suite.

Pluses:
• Location is excellent for touristy Christmas stuff. Most everything is walkable and useful major subway lines are a 5 minute walk away. Being a 1 minute walk from the middle of Times Square was really cool. I stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave last year and definitely preferred this location-wise even more though of course the Andaz had much nicer rooms.
• King Suite was pretty spacious for a NYC hotel room and a family of 4. Didn't mind the carpetless room. Bedroom is separated from the living room with two pocket doors. Not too sound proof but having some separation from the kids while they slept was so nice. The sofa itself is uncomfortable but the kids had no complaints about the sofa bed.
• Housekeeping was excellent and staff was friendly.
• The room-service-only breakfast was tasty and quite quick (always under 15 minutes). But pricey if you're not a Globalist and not a lot of options (and no pancakes/waffles). Would have been nice if had better seating arrangement to eat it, but we made it work.
• Bar 54 has some good views and very tasty but very expensive ($23+) cocktails. Also did the family friendly 10:30am daytime viewing. Seems like high floors would actually get decent Times Square views.

Negatives
• I found the bed really firm and honestly it was probably the worst nights sleep I've ever had in a hotel. My spouse and kids thought it was fine though so YMMV. I do prefer soft beds.
• Outside noise (on 12th floor) could sometimes be extremely loud with insane honking, blaring music from cars, and emergency vehicle sirens. I have no idea what possesses multiple people over multiple nights to decide it's a good idea to blare a car horn for 20 seconds straight at 3 in the morning but that's a thing that happens. I'm a very deep sleeper who has lived and visited downtown in other cities (including NYC in previous trips) without an issue, but this was a whole new level! So that combined with the hard bed meant I was woken up multiple times over our stay which never otherwise happens to me. I'd then fall back asleep fast but if you're a light sleeper just forget about this place.
• I absolutely despise the additional resort fees hotels add on as a surprise and $30 a night is absolutely ridiculous for literally nothing useful. It was of course waived as a Globalist but for everyone else it's just complete ........ that should just be added to the base price.

Overall it was pretty good, mostly due to the size of the room and the excellent location. If it was a couples trip I'd probably go back to the Andaz or try the Thompson but for a family trip it worked out well thanks to the suite.
Oh no. You're killing me with the firm bed. Now, granted, I found the Andaz beds to be just a bit soft, so maybe I'm somewhere in the middle.

Have you ever stayed at Park Hyatt to compare beds? Don't stay at Thompson. They supposedly are firmer than anywhere.