FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:28 am
Bear96
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
I no longer travel heavily for work, but the answer here is really simple. Southwest had many direct flights to the places I needed to go regularly from the place I lived in. No one else did. During the several years that Southwest was my primary airline, I personally experienced no major issues (nothing worse than I experienced with American or United as my primary). So given the choice of flying another airline that would require a stop for almost every flight, probably doubling (or more) my total travel time and increasing the opportunity for mishaps, or an airline that has had issues but none that ever actually caused me a problem, I didn't find it particularly hard to decide. Real impact on every single trip vs. hypothetical impact at some isolated point in the future.
This is exactly my situation. WN is largest carrier out of my home airport, TPA, and the only one that goes nonstop to the places I need to for work. Two or three hours on one segment, never on an RJ, always one of the first on the plane so guaranteed an aisle seat towards the front and room for carry-ons vs. a half-day uncomfortable ordeal connecting through a mega-hub somewhere makes it a no-brainer for me.

AA/UA/DL etc. also all have periodic meltdowns. No way to avoid that once in a while no matter which airline you choose.