FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Get instantly upgraded to IHG Diamond status
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:27 pm
ithinkurdumb

Originally Posted by turnips
That's good to hear, I was thinking I was having a bad run of it
And sure, I checked in for a four night stay at an Intercontinental in Tokyo and requested an extra night as the purpose of my stay had changed. Front desk instantly rebuffed as they were full. I wasn't fully aware of the benefit so I went to my room and returned later to speak to a supervisor who said the same thing. When I mentioned the benefit I was told along the lines of "it's full so there's nothing we can do". It was my understanding given it was >72 hours until 'check in' that I could utilise the benefit then. I gave res a call and didn't get anywhere either, so I went and stayed somewhere else for the final night.
My stays have all been at Intercontinentals, and the hotel I frequent on a week/fortnightly basis is a Voco - that was the only hotel that gave me an upgrade, and coincidentally on the last of a long string of bookings (when I'd decided it was no longer worth it to stay there, and return to my old regular in that city).
The guaranteed room is bookable through customer care, not the hotel. Asking the extend a reservation instead of making a new reservation probably confused them too. Also, there are loopholes allowing the hotel to not providing a guaranteed room, such as special events and minimum number of nights, all at the discretion of the hotel.

That being said, I've had good success using that benefit, including once in IC Tokyo and once in IC Tokyo Bay.