FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any restrictions on TAP honoring StarAlliance Gold baggage allowance?
Old Dec 26, 2022, 6:03 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by divB

Sorry I am not really familiar with it. What is "TP"? Or did you mean "TAP"?

There is a (Star) "alliance-wide" concession (https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition). I even found sources that specifically include all fare classes. This worked for me already on Lufthansa (being Star Alliance Gold via United). It says "Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights" but I found no indication TAP would be part of the "some airlines".

That is of course true; but my previous understanding was that Star Alliance Gold gives the baggage regardless. That's the whole point of it.

You're saying that when I do the check-in 24 hours before, technically it should show up there (but I won't know certain before that)?

Is the screenshot you posted how this looks like? It would even say "[...] even if you are traveling on a Discount fare".

Well, I am keeping my fingers crossed then that querying the status via the United MileagePlus number works. Thanks.
TP is the IATA code attributed to TAP Air Portugal by IATA. In the same way that United Airlines is referred to as UA, Lufthansa as LH

I think you might be making too much of a meal of this. TP really can't spell out its rules regarding Star status and baggage allowance more clearly.

Here's the webpage. https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage/hold-bagagge
Scroll down and click on the information button to get the pop-up about the free bag applying to discount fares.

STAR attempts to formalise an alliance concession on baggage, but this fails in most cases where airline offers "discount" hand-baggage only (HBO) fares which are cheap, but carry no luggage allowance. You selected one of these fares. Fortunately TP bucks the trend and maintains the free bag concession across all fares, as they explain on the website. If you were travelling HBO with other Star carriers, such as Lufthansa, you would have to pay to check in a bag, even as a Gold.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 27, 2022 at 5:15 am Reason: getting rid of the duplicate of the attachment