FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Dec 23, 2022, 9:59 am
Rossodio

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dfwchamorro
My understanding is that any earning of miles extends the expiration of your miles so I think you should be able to go to the AA shopping portal and use it to buy something. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I would be careful with this - the shopping portal tends to take longer to register and process points the more expensive the item you buy and even with some cheaper items has taken weeks for me in the past. They also want to make sure you don't buy items to get points/miles and then return them to get a refund later and will sometimes wait until you are outside of that window to drop the points in your account. I have had it take up to 4 weeks for points to show up this way which would push you past January 7. Mind you, that was for a 2000 dollar laptop, but I saw delays for much cheaper items as I said as well.

Aadvantage dining and loyalty points/miles gained that way tends to be much faster to register. I would find the closest Aadvantage dining spot, go there and grab something cheap to eat or drink, and then look for the e-mail either confirming you got the points or asking you to do a review to get points. Typically no more than 10 days for this to show up in your LP/miles balance.

If you were being as proactive as possible you could just do both. Order something cheap through shopping and cheap through dining and be done with it. If you haven't done Aadvantage dining, it is very easy to register; just associate with credit card of your choice and then use that card to pay for eating at any of those establishments. Some of the restaurants to get points it requires you to order online or requires you to leave a review (which would make getting the points in your account take longer), so be careful in reading how you get points from whatever restaurant you choose.

I am practically married to AAdvantage shopping and dining both and have had plenty of experience with this.