FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting PER-AKL-JFK on a separate PNR
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2022, 7:55 am
samyoull

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
Thanks for the replies, Thai-Kiwi and evanroberts!

Well, I don't require zero risk—nothing in life ever is—but I figure the chance of misconnecting with such a long layover is less than 5%, so I am happy to take my chances. As for entering NZ, I haven't lookd into it yet, but I have an Australian passport, so I figure that getting a visa (or visa waiver) should be quite straightforward and not too expensive.

I actually haven't really looked into the possibility/convenience of heading into town from the airport. I have never been to Auckland before, as this isn't the routing I usually take, and the possibility has occurred to me, given that the PER-AKL segment will be on a separate ticket anyway, of making it a two- or three-day stopover, rather than a 15 hour layover. Then again, perhaps its simpler to just make a day-trip into town, avoiding luggage and hotel hassles, or just hang at the airport, as I am normally based in Sydney—on an eight-year stint in Italy at the moment—so I should have opportunities in the future to have a proper NZ holiday.
You won't need any sort of visa to do this flying on an Australian passport

Out of sheer interest, why though?? This is almost certainly the longest one stop routing to JFK from Perth and pure masochism IMHO

SQ would be far more comfortable, is still *A, and SIN beats the pants of AKL as a transit airport. Flying EK/QR is even faster still.