FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Inn Express London Excel
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:13 am
Genius1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Holiday Inn Express London - ExCeL

Index to Genius1 Trip Reports

I stayed for three nights in September at the Holiday Inn Express London - ExCeL, and since I took a few photos I thought I'd post them here (if not write a full review). The property is decently located just a few minutes' walk from the Royal Albert DLR station, and around ten minutes' walk to the East entrance of the ExCeL conference centre. Early check-in was not a problem thanks to my Diamond Elite status.

Despite this property 'only' being a HIX, I had reasonably high expectations given the astronomical price the property was charging (to coincide of course with multiple conferences at ExCeL). HIXs don't have anything other than standard rooms in the majority of properties, and whilst small, mine was perfectly well appointed with what at first glance was a super king size bed, but in actuality turned out to be two beds pushed together. This meant that the headboard's various switches and sockets didn't match the location of what was set up as one bed. The room had a partial view of the DLR track, and a full view of the side of the adjacent Travelodge.

In-room amenities were limited to the basics, and the lack of a safe was annoying in what is a hotel largely serving a business market given its proximity to ExCeL. Mineral water was available for purchase from reception.

The bathroom was functional, with toiletries in large pump bottles.

All HIXs offer a free buffet breakfast to all guests, and this particular property serves it in a bright and airy restaurant area just around the corner from the reception and bar on the ground floor. Be prepared for This Morning playing on the TV at a loud volume. Given everything is a buffet, the menus seemed slightly superfluous and were more than a little sticky.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Holiday Inn Express London - ExCeL. Whilst this was a HIX stay necessitated by lack of availability at four star properties in the area, based on this experience alone I wouldn't be deterred from staying at other HIXs in the future in similar circumstances.

Last edited by Genius1; Dec 22, 2022 at 1:26 pm