FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Premier MasterCard (60,000 points for $4,000 spend in 3 months)
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:11 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Was seriously considering this card as Citi is the biggest hole in our portfolio. But after reading this thread I decided the better course was for P2 apply to a Cap1 Venture which was pre-approved and then instant-approved.

Lack of transparency by Citi makes it hard to justify a hard pull if the result is equivalent to rolling the dice. While hard pull on your report does less damage than new personal card (the latter counts against 5/24, etc.) the hard pull is still problematic as it may cause other issuers to reject subsequent apps due to app-o-rama concerns.

The Citi pre-approval page only shows me the Double Cash card, which is useless without the Premier. So I guess I'll be working another suitor.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, maybe that's actually the problem. I have plenty of cards with no activity on them, but Citi never denies me any card, because for years I've had one or more Citi cards with routine spending on it. I never cancelled every Citi card I had before applying for a new one. So perhaps they only look at this if you don't have Citi cards you do spending on?

As mia mentioned above, some banks are starting to look at no spend as meaning you're getting cards simply for the signup bonus, and are worried that you'll do the same (no spend) with the card you're applying for. But if you're applying at has recent spend experience with you themselves, they're less likely to care what you spend or don't spend at other banks.
That's a good suggestion. I had a large 0% BT offer on my CitiAA card which I just paid off. But maybe I should ring up a few charges before applying for another Citi product. That said I got a CitiBiz card 18 months ago, so I must not be completely disqualified