FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why the phenomenal cost to upgrade?
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:06 pm
SilverChris

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
I think this may have more to do with it: the repricing would likely be based on the whole itinerary, not only the AMS-SIN sector. This means the upgraded price would be based on a theoretical fare that would include DUB-AMS in business, and that might well map into a much higher fare bucket than what you could buy AMS-SIN for in business outright.

That’s only one possible explanation, of course there are others…
I think so too. Presumably, DUB-AMS is currently in Y, since there's no PY cabin. The online system might be forcing the whole itinerary to a higher RBD, in order to accommodate DUB-AMS in Business.

I'd be curious to know what DUB-AMS books into when the OP tried making a new booking from scratch. It might be still be Y, thus keeping AMS-SIN-FRA at the lowest possible Business RBD.

Of course, this is all an educated guess.

Originally Posted by Stormbel
The trip is the same. All I did was to go to my booking and choose the Upgrade with Cash option. No people involved so no confusion!
This might be one instance where it's worth giving SQ a ring. Best to keep it simple with them and say you'd like to change your ticket to Business. Try not to mention "upgrade" because they'd think you want to use miles.

Originally Posted by Dean1953
When I wanted to change my return trip from BKK to Seattle because Singapore Airlines had changed the Bangkok to Singapore segment by 3 hours and 45 minutes, Singapore Airlines said to contact Budgetair, the third party agency from whom I had bought my ticket. They said it would cost me $1,650 to change a ticket that I bought for $674. I ended up buying another one way ticket to get home and am suing Singapore airlines and Budgetair $880 for the price of that ticket. Singapore airlines rationale in your and my case is to make a lot more money. While not every customer is paying the difference, enough are to justify the policy.
Your circumstances are quite different from what's being discussed in this thread. Might want to start your own thread for further discussion.