FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:11 am
escape4

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Tambo del Inka Luxury Collection = Base Hotel to Visit Machu Picchu

Introduction We intended to visit Machu Picchu so I decided to book a few nights at Tambo del Inka because it’s roughly half way between Cusco airport and MP. Since we have a 1.5-year-old daughter I was considering the potential for altitude sickness, the need to avoid a day trip which would be too long (from Cusco) and avoiding a long ride from Cusco airport to a hotel near MP on the same day of flying. With all those considerations Tambo del Inka seemed to be a good compromise. In addition, this hotel is one of the very few where points required to book a free night went down at the latest “devaluation” by Marriott. It now ranges from 40-50k pts per night which is not bad especially if booking exactly 5 nights. Common Areas Some of the newer Luxury Collection hotels are not always to my liking, but I found Tambo del Inka to be vintage legacy SPG Luxury Collection. The common areas were superb and fitting for a destination of this kind. Room I have never been an efficient user of Suite Night Awards, I knew we would spend a lot of time in the hotel relaxing in the days before and after MP so I cared about a suite upgrade and I burned SNAs which would have expired soon anyway. As it turns out, suites were available at the time we checked in so I suspect we would have had a suite nonetheless, which means once again I did not extract much value from SNAs, if at all.The room was nice and worthy of the LC brand and since we were on the ground floor we had a small outdoor terrace as well. Dining The breakfast buffet was a standout. Food in Peru in general tends to be quite good quality, but the buffet at Tambo del Inka had several dishes perfect for people who want to focus on healthy eating which is suitable for such a mountainous resort. There was even live music in traditional Peruvian outfit in the lovely restaurant setting. Service The travel agency which has staff at the hotel itself arranged our tour before we arrived at the hotel and the entire MP day trip went smoothly: taxi from the hotel to Ollantaytambo train station, train to MP station, lunch upon arrival, bus to MP, entry ticket, and private tour guide. Then everything else in reverse direction. It was not the most straightforward with the little one in tow especially climbing steps in high altitude but we made it and had a great memorable time; our daughter enjoyed the long day but once arrived back at the hotel in the evening she could not wait for the lights to go out before sleeping in the comfy bed! Wifi Wifi worked well with download speed of 20 Mbps but upload was only 5 Mbps. Overall Overall I found Tambo del Inka to be a solid hotel which I can recommend. The main advantage was the location relative to Machu Picchu and the easier acclimatization to high altitude, that said Urubamba is clearly not a destination as attractive as Cusco itself so I would consider Tambo del Inka a hotel to rest, visit MP, and then moving on to higher grounds.