FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:29 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think a moving reference point is to blame. My reference point for catering is what was served out of Chelsea Kitchens at Continental under Bethune. A lot of people look at today’s meals and think it’s a little better than last year’s. UA is training the customer to be satisfied by making big downgrades, then improve it a little to make customers think the food is better than it was. It might be, relative to 6 months ago, but it’s hardly comparable relative to when UA and CO actually cared.

The food today will carry you through the flight. To UA’s credit, they’re really not promoting food as a highlight of one’s flight experience in First or Polaris as they did back in the day when such a promotion actually had some truth to it.
Chelsea produced some of the best domestic premium cabin meals of the era at Continental - lobster bisque soup, an amazing, a delicious cheeseburger, lobster mac'n'cheese, and delicious desserts. I have fond recollections of many of a FLL-IAH flights with that delicious bowl of soup, or the FLL-EWR dinner and lunch flights with an ice cream sundae or a big slice of cake for dessert.