FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport never works at eGates?
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:41 pm
1Aturnleft

Originally Posted by Saladman
No, that's totally incorrect.
Stand corrected thanks for the additional info.

Originally Posted by Saladman
I'm struggling to see how it could be discrimination. And the cost of a UK passport is not 100% based around the ability to identify someone electronically. It's a document that provides nationality data for the individual that enables that person to be able to travel to other countries using that document.
I'm paying xxx to hold a GBR passport but cannot use the technology available when arriving at UK Airports because of my very common family name and the e-gates inability to successfully identify me. I've no other choice but to use a manned booth. See my post #320 further up with regards to this for clarity.

I challenge you to repeatedly explain yourself for 7 years to UK Border Force and non UK Border Force airport employees manning the queue for the UK Border when the machines repeatedly do not work for you when trying to get back into your country of residency and citizenship without beginning to take it personally.

How many times would you entertain the inadequate technology before giving up and writing it off as unfit for purpose just because of your family name when literally thousands of others go through daily without issue?

At what point would you begin to question whether more could be done to streamline the experience? Because I can tell you from where I queue a whole lot more CAN be done and UKBF are choosing not to acknowledge the flaws in their equipment or their vetting process.

The fact that UKBF refuse to formally acknowledge commonality of family name has anything to do with the issue pretty much tells me they know they've got a problem on their hands. But despite the fact a significant proportion of entry channels to the UK remain off limits to me, my passport remains the same price as to everyone elses who can use the channels.

What would you call it?
If not discrimination (which I'd still go as far to suggest it very much is), would you perhaps settle on it being just unlucky circumstances?

In addition on the inside cover of my passport it also states the following:

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.

Apart from the obvious head of state gender change since my passport was issued I'd argue anyone being repeatedly referred from a UK Border e-gate is getting any such assistance but all of the hindrance.

I don't have an issue entering other countries as a visitor. My primary issue is entering own country when returning and this primarily happens at LHR T5 or LGW South Terminal. I've limited experience of T4 arrivals and suffered the same fate. I've no experience of e-gates in other terminals or Airports but dont hold confidence to say the experience would be any different.

It's poor effort from UKBF and poor value for money from HMPO from my perspective at the very least.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 24, 2022 at 5:29 pm