FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon Hotel Reservation Being Changed By Company
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:25 am
cheltzel

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Welcome to FT.

You're a first time poster - so I'll got easy on you and I'm not sure where you're coming from on your upcoming honeymoon (congratulations!). There's all sorts of TIA (This is Africa) going on here. But, I suspect that resort destinations around the world do or try to do similar things with pre-booked folks when something better comes the resort's way such as a high $$ conference. Indeed, for my SA wedding reception (party venue and booking of all approx 12 rooms at the place), booked months in advance - we basically got hosed by the venue saying they had another event... But, as I say this isn't exxclusive to Africa.

Place looks nice. I had to Google it as I hadn't heard of it. (But, I'm long past honeymoon age - that's a joke). Prehaps johan_rebel has some alternatives. But, it sounds like the place is going to be a mob scene with this other conference going on. Is that where you want to stay during your honeymoon. Just my thought.

As for "negotiating" better whatever - I doubt they'll deal like that. Many places are "merged" operations but really operate separately so they can't necessarily "upgrade" you at the other place b/c the other place is separately managed.

I'd consider booking elsewhere and working with your cc company to get your 50% back. Doesn't sound like the venue is interested in a refund (even if you do quote T&Cs to them).

Good luck Please tell the thread what you decide.
+1

I've had a number of similar issues over the last 30 - 40 years (not in Africa though). Just some general advice for the OP. In general I have found that a US CC company will eventually decide in your favor if the vendor has made a substantive change in the terms of the product. The operative word here is "eventually". If you are committed to getting your money back and spending your honeymoon elsewhere, make absolutely sure you have another place all done before you start on the CC refund route. This means you will likely have to spend money on deposits, etc well before getting your money to the original hotel/resort first.

And ...

Welcome to FT!!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! And here's hoping the issues regarding where you spend your honeymoon are resolved in your favor quickly.