FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades
Old Nov 11, 2022, 4:49 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kanamurva
I've been thinking: it seems that nowadays almost all LH ugs clear or not clear at T37. While of course I would like to get mine cleared earlier, could we thing that this system is in fact better for higher tier members to get those ugs through? If previously even silver members could get some ugs clear, then golds at some points etc, nowadays everyone gets to line and there are more spaces available at T37 and so more spaces for plats?

Of course if one will not be willing to fly in Y in any case, this is not that nice. What do you think?
I think we've beaten this dead horse quite a few times. It comes down to two major opinions:
a) "it is better, because I personally have had like 150% success rate and I don't mind getting upgraded at T-37 as I don't care if I fly in Y or J"
b) "it is worse, because I won't fly longhaul Y and I need confirmed upgrades at time of purchase or I won't fly AY at all. Therefore I have no idea what my personal success rate would be, I just let my vouchers/points/membership expire"

Finnair prefers their members to be in segment a)
I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I have observed on shorthauls, where U has been more plentiful that they now kill almost all U 7 days before departure. When they can't sell those upgrades, they process the waitlist at around T-39. Those seats that are still open after that are not returned to U, they are just kept as unsold.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 11, 2022 at 4:57 am