FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do flights leave early when connecting passengers will miss them?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:17 pm
corky
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cssmd27
Question for those of you with a lot of historical "experience" - i.e. age. Did AA (and all airlines for that matter) used to be willing to hold a flight if they knew you were running through the airport back in the mid 80's or earlier? I seem to remember this being something done, but I was in my teens back then. I can remember stopping at the first gate agent and telling them to call the gate we were going to let them know we were in the airport and running to the gate and they would hold the flight a few minutes. Am I misremembering? We were not frequent flyers by any stretch back then and enormous changes have occurred involving security and technology.
I remember this too. I remember panicking about missing a connection and being reassured that the flight was being held. It wasn't a matter of holding the flight to the point that it would be late but more like an on time departure (instead of 10 min early departure) or possibly a minute or two delay. I also remember being on a plane waiting to depart and an announcement being made that we were waiting for a bunch of connecting passengers.