FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Medellin Master Thread [merged]
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:41 pm
FrenchLaundry

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Any recent stays? Not too many great picks for Medellin... Novotel looks decent and this one looks more resort style
Yes, three nights recently. Chosen basically as I wasn't aware of anything better, and feel I know (or think I know) the Intercontinental brand. I had just stayed at the Four Seasons Bogotá, which wasn't that much more expensive yet in another realm of hospitality. And based on experience at the Santo Domingo property, I know there is the possibility of a superb Intercontinental experience in Latin America.

So arrival (party of three, two rooms, cash - not a points stay) was at a crowded desk. Unfortunately no acknowledgement of any IHG/Intercontinental benefits, and my Spanish is not sufficient to artfully discuss hotel loyalty programs. The hotel has a significant amount of real estate, and it seemed like a design flaw to have this small and crowded check in area when there are literally swaths of open space.

Room 1 had no towels. No towels! Room 2 had visible dust bunnies and cleaning issues. Immediately raised these matters with housekeeping and kind apologies were given but nothing done. Called front desk with a little more gusto and towels were delivered to Room 1.

The property has a dated luxe feel with a pool and expansive grounds, and buffet breakfast is in an open lower level, including an outdoor area where exotic birds flew nearby. I felt very comfortable there, but obtaining coffee and water was challenging each day.

I did not visit the hotel restaurant, which looked nice.

Some older comments in this thread mentioned a property front gate. I did use Uber and did have to text the driver to please come to the hotel front door, not just the front gate. This was not at all an issue. Across the street (you will see it) is a popular and very reasonably priced Colombian restaurant which has very high service levels - I recommend a visit.

One other thing to consider about hotels in Medellín is that there are many one way winding roads - 1 mile away on a map could be a 3 mile drive.

Overall, I found this property disappointing. It has some charms, but probably has the worst soft product/maintenance of any IC I've seen.