FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Experience as EXP - AA is flooded with Elites
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:26 pm
Acidity

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by EXP100
To qualify in 2021 for 2022 that's what it was. This year it was increased for March 2023. So anyone that achieved $9K last year still has EXP status. Granted if they haven't increased their flying or cc spend they're down at the bottom of EXPs for upgrades.
Ah gotcha, didn't realize you were talking about earning status in 2021. To be fair, $9k worth of flying last year was still quite a bit!

It will be very interesting to see how the elite landscape changes as the status extensions expire. And also to see how AA changes the program going into next year. With the very high demand for air travel and quite high fares, I have to imagine the LP thresholds will increase (at least for Plat Pro / ExPlat; Gold is already more expensive than the corresponding levels on UA and DL). At this point, I'm assuming 250k LP for ExPlat next year; I don't see OP's 300k number being a realistic choice for AA even if it's the correct one; a 50% increase year over year would lead to a revolt, and that'd correspond to $27k in flight spend just to renew, well more than the $21.5k and $20k UA and DL are requiring respectively. Even at 250k LP, AA would be the highest of the big 3 in 2023 for someone who only earns by flying (and it's way worse for those who have to earn from scratch).