FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:13 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by akashbr
Hi all - I have a JFK-LHR segment booked where I had successfully applied/cleared a SWU before the 7/31 expiry.

I need to change the date of travel by a week - and AA (Twitter team) at least claims that I cannot carry-over the SWU to the new date (even if there is SWU availability) since the SWU is already expired. I.e., they claim that if I change the ticket, I will lose the SWU

Is this accurate? As far as I know, as long as I don't 'refund' the ticket, the SWU stays on the ticket number so I should be able to change to a new date with SWU availability - but I may be wrong?

There is also a schedule change on my flight (only by 30 mins, but still a schedule change regardless!) so not sure if that makes the case for them to allow me to reschedule the SWU a little easier?

Thanks in advance!
No, that's something the Twitter folks will have no clue about. You are correct in that you can change flights and use the same SWU, it will carry over, as long as you're just changing the same PNR. Just give the EXP desk a call.