FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:49 pm
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've already seen similar restrictions. For instance, HNL-PHX on Dec. 5, both HNL-SFO and SFO-PHX have Z inventory, but the combined itinerary is Z0, because UA only wants to sell a D or higher for that routing. And there's actually no way to buy that Z on a single ticket - both google flights and the website (using multi-city) will price it (more than $300 less than the D), but UA will not issue the ticket.
Originally Posted by Kacee
The UA website (and app) would price it as a Z using multi-city (as there is a published and applicable Z fare). I could get all the way to payment, at which point it errored out. Tried numerous times.
I don't think using multi-city search to get around inventory restrictions they put on on married flights has ever been a desired feature by United. If anything it sounds like the website is doing what they expect it to do, refusing to ticket the Z fare since there isn't inventory when the segments are put together, even though there is individually. Sounds more like the pricing engine is incorrectly looking at individual availability but there are some final checks in place to enforce married segment/inventory logic prior to actual ticketing.