FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:08 pm
n8-the-gr8

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
^ I'm not terribly persuaded they couldn't get the IT to work for that scenario. Already one can call in to get an E+ assignment for an off-PNR companion. They could do something like that for upgrades.

I think UA designed it the way they want to - PP from GS accounts are worth more than PP for everyone else regardless of the scenario. Yes, as a non-GS sometimes it grates, but that's how UA has decided to reward royalty. I mean loyalty.
E+ is relatively straightforward I think because that's really just forcing an exception once you confirm the status-holder is traveling on that flight. Pretty common scenario.

Getting the upgrade list to rank not first by inventory class would break behavior they need to preserve in other cases potentially (instant upgrades, etc.). Alternative could be only allowing GS to clear into PN (and if they apply to someone on a random flight it clears into PZ) but that would break the mechanics when a GS and companion are on the same PNR or same flight different PNR. It's really the upgrade list mechanics that complicate things but agreed they are likely content with the design.