FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK to New York strategy
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:16 am
DeeGee26.2

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
UK to New York strategy

Hi there, I'm not a frequent flyer, but I've amassed a few points from supermarket shopping and credit cards, and am wondering if the hive mind here can help me with an award flight strategy so I can then spend appropriately to get the right points to the right places. I've only ever made one airline redemption, a BA Avios RFS in Y from London to ORD, so this is all very new to me.

I'm going to New York next year for the marathon, which is the beginning of November. I already know I'm going, so that hopefully gets me ahead of the game. I'd like to fly business class both ways, but particularly home, as I want an overnight flight from New York.

I don't have much in the way of points just now. I have 40k Virgin and 50k Avios, along with about 100k Amex.

Logic would suggest BA out and back, premium economy and upgrade, so I focus my strategy on Avios?

However, I live very close to a KLM outstation, 40 minute puddle-jump to Schiphol, and I'm not averse to positioning the night before flying out. It's quicker and easier (and potentially cheaper) for me to get to Amsterdam than London. If I were flying via AMS then I'd like a morning flight out of AMS, and a return flight arriving AMS well before noon, as I'd probably book the positioning flight separately.

I'm conscious that VS is joining SkyTeam next year, will this give me more options?

I don't think I've got enough points to upgrade a return ticket, have I. Would two singles on two carriers be a feasible option? Do you reckon I'd be able to upgrade KL flights with VS points?

I'm happy to pay a reasonable sum in cash as the competition on this route keeps prices relatively low, but if I can keep the cash element down, naturally that gives me more to spend.

Or am I just miles away from the points I need just now?