FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airplane ear - both ears
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:33 am
squirk

Airplane ear - both ears

I figure this community would be particularly sympathetic to the following situation.

I had to take a flight while nursing the onset of a head cold. I didn’t have any Earplanes with me, so sure enough, both my ears popped and then plugged up with the head congestion.

I’m doing all the things you’re supposed to do - treat the underlying congestion (Sudafed, Mucinex, Nasonex), steamy showers, yawning, chewing gum, Valsava maneuver, etc., but the muffled hearing is really not budging.

It’s not painful, but persistent and distracting. I would be fine to ride it out save for the fact that I have to fly again in three days. My concern is that if I don’t get this problem under control, my next flight is just going to make it worse.

I guess my questions are:

1.) For you folks who’ve found yourself in a similar predicament, anything that worked for you that’s not listed above?

2.) Is there anything an urgent care center can really do for you? I have a feeling if I run out to one, they’re just going to tell me to “stay the course” with the OTC meds. But if there’s something they can do that I can’t do for myself, I’d love to know what it is.

Please and thank you!