FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Club World dining - restoration of full menu - 28 October 2022
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:12 am
ttama

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The new LHR outbound menu for longhaul flights from 28 October are emerging, and here is one to be getting on with, covering these routes to JFK, IAD, BOS, SEA, PHL and elsewhere in USA. Previously these menus lasted about a month before the main items would change over.

For reference the previous thread on this subject is here.
Long haul in-flight catering | Club World

The flights this menu applies to are

BA53, 67, 93, 173, 175, 185, 191, 193, 205, 207, 213, 217, 219, 223, 225, 253. 255, 295.

(return flights from the USA to LHR are catered by local companies so menus will vary).
====

Starters

Roast British Beef Salad
broccolini, baby corn, carrots, horseradish cream

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
chimichurri, roast corn

Roasted cauliflower soup
garlic and herb croutons

Bulgar and carrot salad
lemon labneh

Main course

Slow roasted short rib of British beef
garden peas, carrots, parsley potatoes, beef gravy

Pan seared North Atlantic cod
carrots, courgettes, edamame, wasabi mousseline

Laksa noodles with tofu
broccolini, spring onions, edamame

Cheese and dessert

British apple crumble
apple compote

Fresh seasonal fruit

Chocolate pudding
chocolate sauce

Cheeseboard
Camembert, coastal Chedder, Shropshire Blue,
apricots, plum chutney

(to save the usual question: I suspect this will not be loaded so that everyone has both dessert and cheese, but often times you may be able to politiely request a dessert plus cheese).

=====

Afternoon tea - served 90 minutes or so before arrival

Sandwiches
Pastrami with mustard créme fraiche on malted bread, prawn Marie Rose on mini brioche, Emmental and Brie with walnuts on rye bread
or
Cheddar cheese with onion chutney on malted bread, deviled eggs on mini brioche, Emmental and Brie with walnuts on rye bread

Sweets
Victoria sponge cake

Plain and fruit scones
served warm, clotted cream, strawberry preserve
At first glance, I'd say
a) It doesn't look "premium" . But then that's not new for BA, and if I fly BA I shouldn't expect high standards or good choices of food.
b) There are too many vegetarian options as starters - I'd only want the beef, and imagine I'd be lucky to get it now I'm a lowly Bronze and unlikely to be at the front of the section. The vegetarian options don't look at all appetising to me.
c) I personally like the pudding selection. Again, not premium, but it looks like good comfort food. I like my puddings to be hearty.
d) Both sandwich selections are very allergen unfriendly. Prawns in one, nuts in the other. I have to ask, who picks these combinations? They seem more concerned with not offending vegetarians than considering critical health issues.
e) What's happened to special menus for vegetarians and vegans, so they can choose to follow their lifestyle choices without restricting the choices of others? I'm finding menus for normal people are being diluted to cater for the dietary preferences (not needs, preferences) of others. If I fly premium class, I'd like more than one meat or fish option per course.
f) Yeah - in general - just way too woke for me. Maybe I'm too old for BA. Maybe I need to pack my own food, whatever class I fly in. I'm happy with some good pret sandwiches or sushi or similar. I really don't want sweet potato, or cauliflower soup, or a bulgar and carrot salad. For me, flying premium class should be a treat, a special occasion - not feeling you're being held captive and on the receiving end of a lecture on eating your 5-a-day by a 20-something back in the BA experimental kitchen.

So, yeah, not at all excited by this. Not at all enthused about my upcoming flights. But if we get advance notice of the menu before we fly, I can at least bring my own food so I'm not force-fed corn or an array of other unexciting tasteless vegetables.