FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:20 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
I didn't see my name on the standby list of the desired flight even though I was on the upgrade waitlist of the desired flight. I could not check in to the flight again to change seats or check anything via the app and then the website gave more information about having identical flights on my itinerary. Seems unlikely this was the correct behavior.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I agree, if you were on the upgrade list but not the standby list, somebody messed something up during that process. You must have been confirmed on both flights.
I think that is the correct explanation. I've had it happen when I accepted VDB with a connection and needed my connecting flight moved later, and the GA was in a hurry to do everything while still getting the oversold flight out on time. So I wound up with both my original and my new connecting flight confirmed on the reservation.

For future reference -- at that point, you could have asked for an(other) agent to just remove the first flight, and then you've lucked into avoiding standby. For my case, an agent at the club was able to fix it up in a few minutes when I said which flight I didn't need.