FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of lounges
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:14 am
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
The one benefit to give BA credit is the access via the First Wing. I know it's technically not part of the lounge, but it is part of the product and makes a massive difference when you have little time and want to avoid trekking through the terminal.
Yes, completely agree with you on this one. The First Wing is brilliant and I agree its part of the product. Bravo to BA on that part!

The drinks are decent, a selection of three champagnes is not nothing, and they have done well with the selection of infused waters for example.
I do miss the table service, but the afternoon tea layout and cheese boards are quite good.
I largely agree with this as well. Though I've called out the wine in some of my comments, I can live with it. The crowding and general state of the furniture, etc. (i.e. the ambiance) is what I find depressing. I also miss the true, proper table service with a much more robust a la carte menu. I believe that is one area that has historically differentiated F lounges from business lounges.

As to the crowds, it's really time of day, morning and afternoon is packed, later in the evening it can be very quiet.
I acknowledge and understand this one, but as mentioned in another reply, unfortunately many of us don't have much control over when we visit this lounge. We come when our plane lands or before it takes off

As to the comparisons, points well made that technically your comparison point would be an LX/LH Senator lounge rather than First Class terminal. If I stack it against a Flagship or a Senator lounge, I'd be probably going with GF (minus the crowds). The SQ lounges aren't even that wonderful in T2, or in Singapore.
This is where I perhaps disagree slightly. I do agree that LH FCT is not a comparison, that is more akin to the CCR. Those really aren't Oneworld type lounges and they have much stricter entry requirements. To me, the proper comparison of the T5 GF is to other Oneworld F Lounges (i.e. JAL, CX, QF, etc.), because frankly, that is what BA themselves classify it as in the OW lounge tool. And in that light, I really don't think T5 GF shines very brightly at all (other than First Wing, as noted)

Flagship/Senator lounges are really business class lounges, with much, much more generous entry requirements. Those are not F lounges. The fact that we are evening comparing the BA GF lounge to them is telling in and of itself.

Regards