FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Private Plane to Speyer, German 9 Euro Ticket Adventures, Scotland, Mallorca
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:04 am
Concerto
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
6. Under the tables in Mainz again

Dautermann actually provides really nice accommodation at a price way below what you would pay in the city, rooms full of space resembling junior or mid sized suites. But... I have never wanted to stay there because I think that you could die of boredom in Ingelheim! With Simon and others we have always elected to stay in Mainz, including one famous time during the carnival when we got completely roasted. I recall somehow making it to the Gutenberg Museum the next day and getting close to vomiting while looking at the famous bibles. Not my finest moment. Luckily it didn't happen and fortunately the relics are protected in showcases anyway.

Timber framed houses in central Mainz

Some of the buildings have details worth inspecting

This visit turned out to be no different, although I wonder about the wisdom of confessing all of this here. We were confounded right at the beginning because none of the places we had hoped to eat at had any space available. Simon has set his heart on a big steak in the excellent El Chico Steakhouse but we were doomed to disappointment. If you turn up in Mainz on a Saturday, think about making reservations well in advance. All our previous visits had been midweek so we hadn't encountered this problem before. It was easily solved by heading to the Eisgrüb brewery, a brewpub with good food and endless space to accommodate the crowds in the catacomb-like underground halls. The schnitzels and meat dishes are great and you won't leave feeling hungry. We tried all the beers, but things started going south when Simon began ordering rounds of schnapps. Of course, I enjoy all of this and only worry about the consequences afterwards, when it's too late.

Basement of the Eisgrüb Brauhaus, which runs under the street

Things are getting a bit blurry now, with the schnapps

Weingut Dautermann also makes lots of gin and schnapps!

Later we went on the town, visiting a number of bars and so-called Weingut establishments. There is a huge choice, but I was disappointed by Weingut Hottum with their awful, acid like wines at a price that the Swiss would be proud of. They also refused credit cards for purchases under €50, something that truly annoys me and seems to be a curse that is unique to Germany in Europe. So that one is on my boycott list in the future.

Weingut Hottum in Mainz, which did not leave a good impression this time

Last edited by Concerto; Oct 23, 2022 at 6:24 am