FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US-issued credit cards in India - current status?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 3:47 am
Keyser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Bandicoot
1 - Seems like 3D Secure ("Verified by Visa", etc.) is mandatory now in some form - local residents get SMS OTP - does it matter if US card issuers have other ways to provide the OTP (app, email, etc.)? Also, I don't remember having asked any of my credit card issuers to turn on 3D Secure - and it's hard to tell if it's on or not because I don't normally get the interstitial page / OTP request when I use my cards here in the US - do I have to request 3D Secure to be turned on or enabled or something before going to India??
I've used my US based cards here a few times & it never asked for an OTP.

2 - I see in the other thread on using foreign CCs for OTA purchases in India that there is a mix of success and failure - has anyone been able to deduce any patterns there? Is there any recommended best practice that can maximize chances of one's card being accepted for online payments?
No real pattern. It's all hit & miss.

3 - Do Google Pay / Apple Pay work well (contactless) for in-person purchases? Or does contactless introduce another layer of complication that might result in card rejections?
Apple Pay does not work here. Google Pay does but not sure if you can use your US credit card for that.

4 - Do chip-and-signature cards still work, or should I leave those at home and take along only chip-and-PIN cards? I don't know what to make of all the news articles that talk about the RBI cracking down on "unsafe" modes of payment.
The whole situation is a mess & the RBI has made it worse. Can't say what will or will not work but in general all US issued cards should work when using them physically.

5 - Last question, more of a bit of curiosity - in the past I've seen small retailers in India with Google Pay signs but not supporting contactless payments - it seems to be some kind of QR code system instead - can this be made to work with Google Pay as installed on a US phone? Or is it something that's only available to Google Pay users in India?
Google Pay has to be configured to India in order to work here.