FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:05 pm
DCA writer

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
SandBoxJohn, you've had some really good insights on the inner workings of Metro. Who do you think is more at fault here?

Everybody else, this writeup by WAMU's Jordan Pascale does a good job of providing context for this mess. I appreciated this context in particular:

Meanwhile, some riders have pointed out that cars and roads, which were responsible for 300 deaths in the region in the last year, would never get the same scrutiny as the derailment that resulted in zero injuries.
Separately: Metro has posted sample travel times to the IAD station:
• Ashburn: 10 minutes
• Wiehle-Reston East: 12 minutes
• Clarendon: 39 minutes
• Rosslyn: 45 minutes
• Metro Center: 53 minutes
• Pentagon: 56 minutes
• L'Enfant Plaza: 58 minutes
• National Airport: 62 minutes
• Mt. Vernon Square: 66 minutes

And new fare tables are starting to appear in stations. The one I saw at Clarendon today, pictured below, lists a peak fare of $6, off-peak of $3.85 (except that on weekends it's now a $2 flat fare systemwide). At peak, that's pricier than CTA to ORD but at least a third less than BART to SFO and under half the fare for NJ Transit to EWR. So I would very very much like to see this line put into revenue service already.