FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4K monitor - display two computers at the same time
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:18 pm
pseudoswede
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
4K monitor - display two computers at the same time

I can't believe how difficult it is to find an answer.

I would like to buy a 4K monitor with the following use case...
  1. On the same desk will be a home computer (where I do all of my mundane household tasks) and my laptop dock which will house my work laptop
  2. If you picture a 4K monitor split into four equal parts, I want the laptop to use the bottom half of the 4K monitor (and "split" into two 1080p "monitors"), and I want the home computer to occupy the two upper halves.
  3. I would like these four equal parts to be the equivalent to four 21" monitors, but ideally four 24" monitors due to my ageing eyes. I for the life of me cannot figure out what size 4K monitors would be the close equivalent.
  4. Countless Google searches talk about utilizing Remote Desktop to connect to my home computer to occupy the top half of monitor, but my laptop will be connected to my corporate VPN, so that is not feasible (and I don't want to expose an RDP port to the internet).
  5. I have no problems using two separate mice/keyboards for each computer, but I've been told that many 4K monitors now have built-in KVM switches. I also have an unopened Logitech multi-device mouse that can be used across different computers.
  6. There might come a time where I may want to switch the bottom half of the 4K monitor between my work laptop dock and a gaming computer, which then may involve a second KVM switch.
I guess the first question is: is this truly feasible? If so, have you found a webpage that details how to make it happen (or if you can share what you did, I would be grateful). Secondly, any 4K monitor recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

But maybe I'm looking too much into this: I suppose I could simply buy a 4-monitor (2x2) desk mount and four 24" monitors (maybe 1200p or 1440p resolution to that extra bit of real estate), which might be significantly easier (and most likely cheaper) to manage.

Thanks in advance.