FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:08 pm
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gengo
Question on an upcoming international trip:

Hi, I am curious if this will be allowed or if I will encounter any issues with this:

I live in City A. I need to travel to City C, which is in a different country.
The price for a ticket beginning in City A and ending in City C - with or without stops - costs $3,000.

If I fly from City A to City B the day before my travel on "Ticket 1", spend the night in City B, then fly from City B to City C on a nonrelated/nonconnected "Ticket 2", then return from City C to City B on Ticket 2 and return from City B to City A on Ticket 1 - this costs $1,500.

Is there anything preventing me from booking these tickets?

I understand that flight cancelation for Ticket 1 may impact Ticket 2 on the way out and could cause a problem since they aren't linked. Same thing with Ticket 2 causing problems for Ticket 1 on the way back.

But if I made these two purchases, would the airline prevent me from traveling on Ticket 2 since both tickets are with American and I would technically be in the middle of an unrelated trip for Ticket 1?

I am not certain I am asking the question in a way that makes sense - so I appreciate any and all patience.

Other options:
Fly City A to City B on Ticket 1, but not make it a roundtrip, then Fly City B back to City A on third ticket.
Fly City A to City B, roundtrip, on a different airline.
That's just positioning to another city to take advantage of a cheaper fare, 100% ok, nothing at all preventing you from doing this. Tons of folks (including myself) do this all the time.

There's no rule that you must book only single tickets from your home city, or anything like that.

As mentioned the only drawbacks are irrops and baggage; AA will not check bags through across separate tickets, and if there are irrops you could run into issues, although if both tickets are on AA they'll usually work with you IME although not guaranteed.