FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:20 am
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Well, as a German renewing my passport in the German embassy in Stockholm is a pretty messed up procedure. You have to book an appointment about 4 - 6 months in the future. But not to get your passport... Oh no! You have to send in paperwork by post until that day. On the given day, they will look at the application and then call you up to make an appointment in person a couple of months later. So it is something between 8 and 12 months now, to renew my passport.

They introduced this madness together with their Covid19 lockdown. Before that, it was about a 6 weeks wait to get an appointment in person where you could fix all in one go.

Oh, and if you don't have a residence in Germany.... it is not even an option to fly to Berlin or Hamburg anymore and get the passport done there. Only in real emergencies and then the process is similar messed up. They will call the embassy of the country you reside in to get "permission" to issue a passport. And if they can't reach the person responsible in the embassy... come back tomorrow and try again.
I get more and more happy with the process of the Danish embassy in Tokyo. You can usually book a spot 1-2 days on advance, takes 10-15 minutes to go through the motions at the embassy. About 2 weeks later the passport arrives at the embassy via diplomatic post for pickup. If you can be without your passport for the duration add a day or two for registered mail to your home address, otherwise the time it takes to go to the embassy for pick up. No appointment needed for a pick up.