FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad London St. James {GBR}
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2022, 3:14 pm
Winniesbestfriend

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Originally Posted by masmadrid
Just about to check out.

All was great until breakfast. The host was very rude, tried to give us a table literally centimetres next to someone else, and when we asked for an alternative she said her manager would berate her if we were sat at a table that wasn’t quite ready (it wasn’t dirty, just needed cutlery on the table), then walked away from us. She didn’t offer a seat to us in the cocktail bar next door while we waited or anything. We were happy to wait she just needed to explain the wait and be a lot more professional about it.

When we sat down we were ignored. Had to ask for everything: toast, coffee etc. they were not short staffed.

There seemed to be distinct levels of service, perhaps based on status or being regulars.

breakfast was nothing special, just average Hilton quality.

overall a very nice stay just a shame about the breakfast staff.
I checked out this morning too!! And I agree with every word you say re breakfast. Apart from the excellent quality smoked salmon the quality has become basic standard. The tables are very close together, they sat me at the first table next to the buffet and it was very unpleasant being so close to my neighbours, getting in and out to get more food was very uncomfortable. My other complaint was the quality of the pastries and bread rolls.
And cold plates for hot food are not nice, my scrambled eggs were cold by the time I sat down. You felt ignored or treated less because of status, don’t, I’m lifetime Diamond and was treated exactly the same, except one guy in a suit came to say hello and ask how I was ‘cos he remembered me from previous stays. I too had to flag down staff to ask for toast - which arrived cold - and fried eggs which took forever. Staff are very good at just walking by and ignoring you.

I enjoyed the executive lounge, the afternoon tea was nice and evening canapés and drinks offerings plentiful and of high quality. The 5.15pm to 7.15pm makes sense in this location and for the purpose most people stay. Most had 1 drink, some nibbles and rushed out to go to the theatre or tour.

I didn’t enjoy my room though. I’d booked a deluxe via Impressario and received no upgrade. Asked at check in but apparently to capacity.
The room itself was situated at the back of the hotel facing a pub which became very lively between 5pm and midnight. Then from 5.30am bin men and glass containers were emptied. Nice. The windows offered no soundproofing whatsoever as they could open 4 inches. The a/c didn’t work which wasn’t a surprise to front desk and I wasn’t alone on the corridor, several other guests complained too. The room became boiling hot ( before I discovered the windows could open) and the bathroom
freezing. The towels weren’t Conrad quality at all anymore, very thin and some even had holes in them. Toiletries have changed to Byredo Mojave ghost in big bottles which I liked.

At check out the bill was incorrect, the £75 credit hadn’t been removed and they tried to charge the incorrect amount. The girls didn’t seem to understand why that was, taking my phone several times to check my booking information. Then tried to blame the travelagent for their mistake.