FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:36 am
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Pre-Covid there are data points of AA extending these when requested. No idea what the success rate was then. So thought I'd ask in case others have asked and been granted extensions. A lot of people had them extended during covid making the new ones earned even harder to use. Although AA may be looking at that as reason not to grant an extension. The reason? Goodwill for their best customers. That's why they used to occasionally do it for customers, maybe they still have a small amount of goodwill still to give out....
Sorry, but I don't think that "other people got them extended, which makes new ones harder to use" is going to come into play in terms of AAs thinking on extensions.

"Goodwill for their best customers" ok, yea, maybe. The challenge is what defines a "good customer?" I usually find that many on FT believe "they" are the good customer just because they are EXP. But the reality is that EXP is becoming pretty easily attainable for many folks (even more so now with "Loyalty Points") so just being a "run of the mill EXP" doesn't necessarily make one a good customer, at least in terms of deciding who to give special treatment, because doing it for any and all EXPs wouldn't make sense. That said, I suppose one can never say never and you are certainly willing to hope for/ask about it. The problem with extensions though is that AA often doesn't do them until the end of the runway and so you have to play a game of chicken and not blink. But if they don't extend, then it might be too late to make alternate plans.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to be rude or adversarial, but I will say that I'm in the population that believes its time for all the "waiver" and "extensions" and "exceptions" to be over. For the vast majority of the human population, Covid is no longer an issue precluding travel and if someone can't figure out how to use SWUs in a year or year and half (depending on when, specifically they are earned), maybe that customer just doesn't have a use for them...

Regards