FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:51 am
Jonesdds

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
google flights won't tell you jack. What's the flight number and departure date and I'll check it on EF
Google flights tells me how many seats are unsold, give me a feel for my chances, by just increasing the number of people I'm checking until the flight shows unavailable. I have EF as well.

I ended up canceling have until Sept 26 to use so could happen next year although can never get an answer as to the actual value.

If use it next year I may not opt for SWU as my choice for reaching EXP so may do as an upgrade miles+copay. Does anyone know how they rank a miles and copay vs. SWU in priority if both by an EXP with equal rolling spending(all other things being equal)? I'm also wondering the chances they'd extend my 2 SWUs that expire end of year, they are newly earned for 2022 status earned, not the extended ones done due to Covid.

My last question is when waitlisted it seems I see the upgrade on EF but no automatic upgrade is done, I have to call in. Does the ranking of the waitlisted flyers not matter when out beyond 5 days, it's just who calls in first? If so, that seems like a very broken system....