FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:54 am
skimthetrees

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by LHSEN
I noticed CX not really blocking anything, but it‘s more AA pulled all CX award flight for the next months. I could book and ticket the what I found in BA website within this period no issue but these CX flights don‘t show up at all. Will calling AA really help?
Yes, it really does look that way. It is still possible that it is CX blocking but based on what I am seeing it is much more likely AA is blocking so you probably will not have any success in calling, but it is worth a try. If you are not looking in the short term you might try asking someone like Gary Leff at View From The Wing to use his AA contacts to check on the blocking situation. He has done stuff like this in the past when there have been similar situations.

When checking one route, SFO-HKG for a Business award I did find one day with availability for the entire next year, the very last day of the booking calendar, Sept. 11, 2023, so AA can book CX awards they are just blocked the rest of the year (confirmed by finding more availability with other partners). Currently my guess would be you have one slim chance of booking a CX award via AA on a day when it shows on other partners but not AA and that would be if you could find a matching award on another day that you could book (like the mentioned SFO-HKG on Sept. 11), and after ticketing call and ask if the date you really wanted was available (confirming before asking that it was available on other partners). Then hopefully they would just plug in the new date and request availability (more like a long sell) without doing a full availability search and maybe, just maybe, that might bypass the block. It's a slim chance but that's the only way I can see it happening.