FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More award availability restricted by married segments / connections
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:20 am
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You can complain about married segment logic as much as you like, but then you would also need to convince the universe that people should pay more for the inconvenience of connecting flights versus a non-stop flight.
You are of course correct. That said, given that we now supposedly live in a world of dynamic (or "semi-dynamic") award pricing, I wish AA could better figure out how to at least make the non-stop award available, even if at a premium (but a reasonable premium) to the married segment award.

At least in my experience these days, I often find the married segment award available and the non-stop not at all available all (or at just an absolutely outlandish price).

Obviously, flying out of Austin, I'm used to a non-stop flight being priced more expensive than a connecting flight (e.g. AUS-JFK is more expensive than AUS-DFW-JFK) but when paying cash I don't usually find that delta to be like 10X. So I wish (I know, if wishes were ponies) there could at least be some rationality (and actual availability, even at a premium) to the model for awards.

All that said, I fully understand the field of play as it exists and do my best to navigate it accordingly.

Regards