FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3% CC fee in Canada
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:18 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Australia Hotels long been charging the CC transaction fee for years between 1 to 2%

Originally Posted by nacho
Just saw someone wrote on FB that Canadian Marriott hotels have started charging 3% fee for using CC without proper signage.

Do I have to keep CAD 500 in my wallet just to pay for hotel deposit from now on? I don't even know how this affects car rental since they only allow CC.
Several years ago Australia have passed the laws to allow merchants capture the CC transaction fee. Many eateries would have a sign that if Paying by Cash, you get 3% discount. Essentially is you pay 3% higher if paid by CC. Since our CCs earn 3% rebate on dining, so it makes a breakeven transaction, more convenient than get the Australian $ to save the 3%.

I believe Marriott finally capped it at 1% but not sure about this since the last time we were in Australia was 2019. Westin there informed me about the CC surcharge.

Here locally in the good ole USA, our State also passed legislation to allow merchants charge 3% CC transaction fee - but so far the practice is only prevalent at gas stations which also need to show Cash Price on their billboards.
Other merchants simply continue the business as usual by having the cash paying customers bear the cost by way of not getting a discount.

Regardless, you pay the 3% one way or the other, visible or hidden. Really does not make much of a difference.