FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:23 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn
Quite often our guests from US/ Europe have had their fill of meat by the time they come to us for lunch or dinner and ask for a fish option. Sushi is seldom mentioned though.
You aren't kidding. People frequently ask how much I love the steak, blah blah blah. This year, on three trips, it wasn't until Trip 3 that I had a steak. That said, the availability of more interesting cuisine (qualified by edible and tasty, too) has been a quite positive development over the past several years. I'm not speaking of "high end" dining, either. Palatable Middle-Eastern, Vietnamese, and Mexican are probably the most notable. These aren't "destination worthy" spots, but they are sure "I can't eat another empanada, chori, or lomo today" spots.

I still have distant memories of a Peru-inspired ceviche spot I visited many years ago - highly rated and "authentic" (whatever that means) and it was clear that the Bland Police was in control of the place. And recently, I went to a ramen spot that a friend loves. It was perfectly ok. I ordered the Steph Curry Ramen, and had to explain what the name meant to my friend - I showed him a pic of Mr. Curry, and then he said that they used to call it the Steph Curry 30 and he then completely understood! Anyway, a good change of food pace, but not worth a trip across town unless meeting someone. On another rambling note, when I first went in to the VN spot in San Telmo shortly after it opened, the person who took my order wanted to make sure I understood what I was ordering I confirmed that I did.

I suppose my best news is that there's finally a really respectable taco, with respectable sauce (one that wasn't prepared by waving an uncut ají over the bowl for "heat")!