FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask the staffer
Thread: Ask the staffer
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
I’ve operated to the majority of the big ME destinations in the past and present where an army of staff lead an assault charge on the newly captured prize, turning it all around and then throwing it back to the enemy lines as it leaves back for London. Yes of course these are mostly very lowly paid workers imported in to do this work but it shows it can be done. In North America where unionised labour is a very active force, we too often find a record, sometimes Herculean effort is thrown into a late arrival to make it an OTD or as near as damn it. The RA delay mins being minimal compared to what they could have been. It is down to carrot & stick I know.

I agree with what both 13901 and Waterhorse have said. Ultimately all of it is all down to satisfying the city. The total lack of clarity and leadership in action is however something that can be addressed and could indeed make a difference. I can’t speak for the below wing and terminal teams at all, but for minimal cost they could try to get other business units to ‘buy-in’ to assisting with smoothing out the clunkiness of the operation. For example the ridiculous and continuous cargo dollies saga. It’s an active choice to instil and propagate a divide that only goes to ultimately hurt the bottom line though longer term ‘bite back’. The EU261 thread being a small but no doubt growing cost. Sometimes I long for the Ryanair bicycles of yesteryear to come in. It would never pass muster in this modern day H&S climate and completely impractical, but they didn’t half work to cut down cost and increase efficiency. It didn’t help morale in the wet mind, but at least I wouldn’t be waiting for the crew bus on a remote stand after a 13 hour sector.
I think there's surely an element of incentives that is missing, and that seems to be working alright in other areas (GGS for instance), but the culture problem cuts both ways. The cargo dolly issue is one - but not the stupidest - example. I could count dozens more problem when not even the prospect of additional cash did the trick.