FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is United status worth it?
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:31 am
prestonh

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by chleonard
LOL I'm sorry, but "most" employers do NOT pay for J for non-C suite employees. I've flown probably hundreds of work flights over the past 15 years to all corners of the globe and not once has someone else bought me a J ticket. I fly J all the time but I have to upgrade or cost-construct with my own money to get there, and every other person I know (in a variety of industries) is in the same boat. It's just the way business travel is these days unfortunately.
United builds/targets its business on corporate contracts with deep discounts on J (and PE/Y). Perhaps your company does not have a contract/does enough travel to merit one and thus pays published rates..

Originally Posted by commaspace
They make you sit 15 hours in coach? International flight over 5 hours in J is pretty standard for large corporations. Nobody would go otherwise. Like you, I have never talked to anyone flying for business 15 hours in coach. Gnarly.
Companies are varied, depends on the work. Some contracts/positions allow it, some don't.

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
So who the heck is using up all those J seats TATL. ?
upgraders and NRSA obvs /s

Originally Posted by chleonard
Yup, which is why i go out of my way to avoid travel, likely to the detriment of my career. We can in theory get business for very long (14+ hours of travel) but it requires very high-level approval and is extremely rare. Every employer in my field is this way now, including some very well-known tech companies. The pay is extremely good but the travel policies are a joke. Definitely looking forward to retirement and never taking a business trip ever again.

I would seriously love to know who these large corporations are that have such generous travel policies...
If it makes you that miserable, apply to a company with a travel policy to better meet your needs?