FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KLM new Premium Economy still coded as low DL miles earning "Discount Economy"
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:16 pm
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
As KL's PE product is brand new, no. And that's the point. I'd feel very uncomfortable booking a KL coded PE cabin, paying $1500-$2000 (sometimes less, frequently more) when the KL website indicates in writing these are "A" fares when at the same time the DL.com chart for KL indicates very low-mileage earning for "A" fares. I don't want to be a guinea pig.

I'm talking just the scenario a lot of DL flyers use - booking partner coded fares because frequently the MQMs and/or MQDs are higher than booking with DL-coded flights. In this case KL coded "A" fares assigned to the new KL metal "Premium Comfort" is not at all conducive nor equivalent to earning an appropriate amount of DL SMs/MQMs/MQDs earned with many other partner carriers.

It seems DL needs to assign the "A" fare on their KL chart to reflect the PE product, not "Discount Economy." KL's sister brand AF uses "A" fares for their Premium Economy product and the DL chart for AF appropriately indicates the "A" fare as Premium Economy along with the appropriate MQMs/MQDs earnings.
The cabin on KL is new, but that hasn't prevented them from selling PE fares (KL coded flights with KL PE fares) on DL/AF equipment which have had PE cabins for some time (the fares have been showing on EF for over 2 years now). They have been using W/S/A fare classes for these the whole time (just like AF uses for PE). I found a post from Sep 2020 where they will still posting as Economy fares to Skymiles, but can't seem to find any more recent data points and if DL is still crediting them like economy fares.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 29, 2022 at 5:22 pm