FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emerald Recognition Across Various OW Carriers
Old Sep 29, 2022, 10:18 am
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I think you're going to very quickly find yourself in a situation you won't appreciate. Most if not all OW carriers force you to use the same FF number for accrual that you use for status benefits. Some other alliances (*A particularly) are looser on that, but OW seems not to be. I got away with it once... literally once, I had AB status (back when that was an airline) that put me at OW Sapphire. I had an AA domestic first ticket so didn't need to care about boarding group or luggage allowance, just wanted to use the Admirals Club, so on my way out the door of the club I asked the agent to switch my number from AB to BA... she gave me a very stern cross look but did it, knowing exactly what I was up to. I think if I were in economy they'd have told me no, since I was in first already the only 'benefit' I got was Admirals Club access, group 1 boarding and 3x 32 kilos baggage were already included.

But I am curious WHY you want to accrue miles on the various partner programs? You get more AA miles by flying partners, not the other way around. You earn far fewer AA miles by actually flying AA vs a partner. On the flipside you'd get far more miles generally flying AA and crediting to QR (new to Avios so that might eventually drop down to the same earnings level as BA or IB for AA accrual but still currently BA and IB are better than crediting to AA natively on all but the very most expensive tickets). I really think you have the whole thing backwards.

But at the end of the day, I've found that if you just want OW status and don't need AA domestic upgrades (as a PPro I don't think you see many) then I'd go for QR status, their Platinum (OW Emerald) is far easier to reach than AA PPro or EXP, I think it may currently be the easiest OW Emerald if you fly paid international Premium Economy or Business.

Last edited by dvs7310; Sep 29, 2022 at 10:31 am